Arriving at the Academy of Nys, Evanil explains that it’s a cover of a cover; it is a center for fitness and mental wellness, which is a cover for a rogue training center, which covers for the fact that Evanil’s side of the Unseen Hand is hiding out, recruiting, and training there. The party (save for Rolan, the underwear model who must stay pristine) got gold and blue tattoos to identify them as friends of the faction. Rolan had it inscribed on his bracer, which he had modified by a gnome over 3 days.
Andra, Corah, and Wren went to Nys to scout out what was going on there, taking Grendel with them in Corah’s pack. The party learned a new ruler, the Count Meridam Duval, was recently elected after a series of unfortunate and troubling events. A wine festival is approaching on the weekend, in honor of Nyssa, the city’s namesake. Delanar inspected Lash’s gloves she took from the Keepers, and remembers seeing them in a book with the word “soulcasting” somewhere and determined that they have divine magic.
Lash was reunited with her childhood friend, Yahka, who gave the party the following information:
- When Marco recruited her in Dravekh, he promised they would destroy a great evil and find many riches
- Several of Marco’s favorites, and Marco, began to use strange and dark magic that she hadn’t seen or heard of before
- One night, she went to speak to Marco about the ethical complications of stealing from those in need, and killing innocents, and witnessed a terrible blood ritual, hearing a deep and terrifying voice in her mind. With Marco were Delma and Willem, his highest-ranking officers
- The last thing she learned was that Count Duval, recently elected ruler of Nys, is funding Marco’s group
- She stuck around to learn a bit more, and then fled when she feared Marco was growing suspicious
Corah sent reports of what was happening in the city as the party waited the 3 days for Rolan’s bracers to be modified. On the first day, Andra used her powers to heal a woman who has been hit by a carriage, attracting the uncomfortable attentions of Count Duval, Nys’s newly elected ruler. She was given a job healing at the Temple of Novv in Nys, where she noticed Duval watching her the next day. On the third day, Andra agreed to go to a party that opened for the wine festival at the castle, despite the party’s warnings.
Corah and Delanar dressed in finery, posing as nobles attending the party, while Lash and Evanil posed as their bodyguards. With no invitation at the gate, the 4 crashed the party when Corah revealed she has the power to manipulate minds. They entered, being announced as “The Duke and Duchess McClure!” They poked around the party, and decided to wait for Duval and Andra to come down from dinner, which Grendel and the rest of the party was watching.
Meanwhile, Maren, Rolan, Loyal, and Grendel failed super hard at sneaking, but managed to get eyes on Andra and Duval. They had a very interesting-looking conversation, and Duval demonstrated an ability to grow plants from nothing, like Corah did with the lines of trees while fleeing Marco’s Unseen Hand. During the party, once the Count and the “Lady Alyssandra” were announced, Delanar read Duval’s mind. Between Andra’s debrief and detecting thoughts, the party discovered:
- Duval knows Corah is “another one” like him, but not who she is personally
- Duval is seeking to expand his influence through whatever means necessary
- Duval wants to grow his powers through various groups across Althon, including the Blood Guild and Marco’s Unseen Hand
- He is a warlock, but other powers allow him to create plants from nothing
- His eyes change to the same glowing teal that Corah’s do
- He told Andra that Marco’s Unseen Hand will no longer hunt her
- Andra claims she felt compelled to tell him information that otherwise she might have kept secret
- Both Andra and Corah felt drawn to him in a strange way, like they had each other
After some tense conversations between the party and their friends, Delanar won Evanil’s trust, and Evanil confessed that he also has some kind of special abilities. His eyes seem to go purple when he uses them, or gets very upset. His “people” have been hunted for thousands of years’ and he seems to have more information that he is letting on about divine gifts. Marco had been his “brother” in the war, and one reason he left had to do with the hunting of his people. Marco has seen Evanil use his powers, which may have to do or may not with why Marco is hunting him now.
So far as she knows right now, Corah has the ability to create plant and animal life, heal minor wounds, influence people, and warp earth and plants. Andra knows that she is able to heal on a grand scale, and her eyes glow golden.
The party thinks that blood rituals with divines may be extra powerful, and resolves to look further into it. They also mused that Conrad is like these people, and is able to hide it with his mastery of tricks and illusions. They spent the night at the Golden Sunrise, awaiting the next day to delve further into the mysteries of Nys, and taste its delicious wines!
- EXP: 2000 exp base, 500 extra for Delanar’s emotional speech about trust, 200 extra for Lash’s social grace, 100 extra for truly horrific sneaking for Maren and Rolan
- GOLD: 0
Moments Erica Liked
- Delanar convinces Evanil to trust the party
- Maren and Rolan are the literal worst at sneaking
- Lash helps Evanil act calm at the party